Monday, October 15, 2007

Kingston Mill Bridge

Second piece in the Lincoln Highway Series. I'm trying out some mixed media techniques combining my charcoal with watercolor. I think it works best if I keep the watercolor to a minimum and let the charcoal dominate. I was hoping for the feeling of an early hand tinted black and white photograph using the color just to highlight the focal point of the piece.

The four-span rubble-coursed Kingston Bridge, with its barrel shaped stone arches was built in 1798 and is the oldest bridge in Somerset County. The bridge crosses the Millstone River at the dammed end of Lake Carnegie, near the historic mill building originally constructed in the late 1880's. The original bridge was destroyed by Washington's troops on January 3, 1777 to delay pursuit by Lord Cornwallis following the battle of Princeton.

No comments: