Friday, October 19, 2007

Frustration!

Sketched out this bridge again for my next painting - but I'm not happy with it. The colors are to0 saturated and it just feels disjointed and not unified. I'm going back to the masters - Sargent, Eakins , Turner, to get in touch with some subtlety again. I may need to shift the values a little lighter. We'll see. I'm going to start the larger composition.



Sargent- masterful handling of the reflections in this painting of Venice. And the light on the buildings - he really knew where NOT to paint.


Eakins - the subtelty of his color schemes is incredible. All of the work in the water is done with glazing on top of the initial wash. A million little brush strokes. But its the inital wash and color scheme I'm interested in. This may actually be too limited in its color varieties


Turner - similar unification of his whole canvas with the initial washes, but he uses a little more color. Daring yellow sky, with that beautiful violet mountain. Supreme use of the complements - the violet, which would be dull against another color comes alive against the yellow sky.
Okay - I think I'm ready to jump in and get started!

No comments: