Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Process continues



Straight lines in the painting are masked with tape like this:

Here I've filled in the copper windows and put an all-over light wash on the building to unify the whole painting, where left alone this wash will be the highlight values in the painting, other areas will be painted down to mid-tones and shadows.

Next I start adding in the shadows to bring out the forms on the buildings and to make the shells at the roof look 3-dimensional. I add in some of my darkest values as well:
By adding in the darkest values I can see the overall balance of the painting is off, the shadows around the big shell are too dark, making it look spotlighted, not sunlit. So here I've begun balancing the painting by lightening some shadows and knocking back some highlights while I continue adding in other shadow areas.
Once all of the main tones are in, I continue adding details and balancing values.
The mortar lines are added using tape as a ruler.

No comments: