Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Montclair State Progression Day 3 final

Finished this house - I'm very happy with the clarity of the colors and the quality of the light. It was exactly what I wanted to capture. I'm also happy because I incorporated much more of my own vision in the composition.
The image is composed of elements from a series of sketches and photographs. Although the tree exists, its further from the house and it was summer when I did my initial sketches and photos so all of the fall colors are imagined.
Here's some background on the house - I'll need to find some more about the family that built it.
The Victorian house was constructed in 1872 in the Italianate style. It was one of the prominent houses that formed Speertown, an early Dutch community in the area of present-day Upper Montclair. The house was built and owned by Thomas Van Reyper. Van Reyper, who died in 1909, married Catherine Speer, with whom he had three children. In 1952, the Van Reypers sold the property to George and Bertha Bond, who owned the house until 1966, when they bequeathed the house to Montclair State College.

No comments: