Thursday, January 31, 2008

Birch Tower Complete

Charles McKirahan designed the 1959 Birch Tower. The sleek white and seafoam green 17-story highrise on Lauderdale Beach is raised up on pylons, allowing the all important tail-finned automobile of the time to drive right through unimpeded. McKirahan designed many mid-century motel icons in and around Miami.

Its not actually on the beach the way I've placed it, but it makes a more interesting composition to show the sunset to the side as a point of reference for the relfections in the window. I wasn't sure what to do with the base of the building, it sits on these massive concrete struts, but there's a parking garage under the building and I wasn't interested in showing parked cars in the painting. I just left them quiet in the shadows. I like it.

Purchase Information

No comments: