Thursday, September 13, 2007

Provincetown

I did actually do some work in P-town this summer, but I wasn't happy with the composition. I kept wanting to add more to them, but couldn't figure out what.

I was finally brave enough to crop the paintings severely into panoramic views and I'm much happier with them.


The Provincetown breakwater was built in 1911 to protect the town's harbor from shifting sands. The multi colored granite stones jut out for a mile to the very tip of Cape Cod, called land's end. Purchase Information

Here's a picture of my honey on the breakwater - isn't he cute!






The lighthouse was built in 1872 at the mouth of Provincetown harbor, along with a 1 ½ story dwelling for the keeper. The light tower emits a flashing red light that is visible 11 nautical miles. A fog bell and bell tower were added to the station in 1902. The oil storage shed remains, the other outbuildings were removed when the lighthouse was automated in 1961. The grounds are accessible after a long hike across a stone breakwater. Purchase Information




The sound playing is the fog horn the tower makes every 30 seconds when activated.





No comments: