Thursday, August 9, 2007

Commission 2



Working on another commission, first time on a spanish colonial house. The roof is much more interesting than most. Not happy with the way I've put so much foliage in the foreground. I wanted to emphasize the sylvan setting, but its too prevalent and throwing off the focus of the painting. It might work if it was less saturated, but I think I'm just going to take out the leaves at the top in the next version. I like the way the painting is unified by the underpainted wash - the sky moving through the house gives the sense of light I was looking for. I also like the mix of hues in the foliage, but the colors might be a little hot, cooler would make the house pop a little more.
I'm going to start again - a little more delicate in the foliage.

1 comment:

George G said...

I have to say, I kinda love it so unfinished. Are you doing anything with the 'old' version when you repeat it? I think there are graphic design possibilities for it. I love the contrast of structure with bursts of bleeding color.