Monday, April 23, 2007

Forest for the trees 4-21-07





My buddy Chris very perceptively asked me yesterday if I ever have a problem finding subject matter to sketch. This is a sketch of a flowering pear tree - I sat down to sketch some people walking by a cafe, but the passersby tend to be more "pedestrian" in the burbs. It was then I noticed the elegance of this tree and created a quick study in about 10 minutes while having my coffee. so sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees and somtimes you cant see the tree for the people I guess. Maybe I'll make this the subject matter of a painting - who knows?




Sunbathers on the Christopher Street Pier

Went on Sunday to the pier in NYC to sketch - great location to people watch. The first sketch below is Chris - stylin' in Joe's shades. The others are various people hanging about enjoying the beautiful day. I'm intrigued that the gay community that's moved to Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen still goes down to the Christopher Street pier to sunbathe. Nostalgia, habit? How many of these young guys even know the darker history of the location?













No comments: